I try to avoid hyper-organization, but sometimes I can’t help myself. What can I say…I’m an engineer and an organizer; there almost always has to be a better way 🙂 I recently turned my process improvement focus to our grocery list. I’ve used a pre-made grocery list for a couple years; it made the grocery list making process a little easier, but I was still feeling frustrated.
I had two main frustrations with the process:
- We ran out of items early in the week and forgot about it so they didn’t make it on the to grocery list.
- Even though I had the pre-made list, it still seemed like looking through the cabinets and fridge to see what we needed was taking too long.
If only there was a way to update the list as we used up items! Oh wait…put a pen by the list and make it accessible. Brilliant!
I got my supplies:
- 3M Command Hook
- Velcro tape
- Grocery List
The project was done in a couple steps:
- Hang the hook inside one of our cabinets.
- Tie twine to the clipboard clip and around a pen.
- Use velcro tape to attach the pen to the bottom of the clipboard.
- Attach the grocery list.
- Hang up the clipboard.
Voilà! Problem solved!
In the grand scheme of things this is a small problem, but it was something that bothered me on a frequent basis. The list inside the cabinet with its own pen brings me joy every time I use it. Process improvement complete…for the moment at least!